My Tip for Doing-It-Youself Henna: buy a cake decorating tube and tips

I am soooooooooooooo loving Sudanese henna patterns right now [they are more about vines and leaves than florals and bolder designs than delicate Gulf-style henna or overwrought Indian mehndi], and I just discovered that I too, can do henna at home even though I suck with the henna tubes. What do I do? I buy the bagged henna that you just add water to (cheaper than buying by the tube). Then, I take a cake decorating tube (purchased for 4 rials) and put on the smallest decorating tip, and draw away. Unlike purchasing throw-away henna tubes, I can just wash and re-use this tube when it is empty, re-fill it, and if the tip gets clogged, I just unscrew it, run it under warm water, and then go back to my art endeavor. It is totally amazing. I am not loving henna, an art that previously elluded me despite my artistic and do-it yourself skills due to crap henna tubes and how they like to clog. And if you aren't an an artist? Just go to youtube and search how to draw with henna and find out how to do the basic patterns, flowers, pasiley, peacock, and more intricate designs. Draw them a few times freehand, and memorize how the lines go. Most henna designs, when you break them down to steps, are very simple, especially the Indian and Khaleeji ones. I am liking the Sudanese ones right now, because they take a more free-style capable hand because they aren't planned lines and circles necessarily and are more curving. But as pictured below, Khaleeji henna will always have a place in my heart, and be worn here in Oman;):

No comments:

Post a Comment