Inside Princess' Kitchen: Lamb Shoulder Steaks Served w/ Lemon& Dill Potatoes

This is going to be a new series. Mainly to record non-Arabic recipes, where to buy the ingredients for them in Oman, and the cost of recipe in Oman seasonally so ya'll can budget (me too!). I get tired of aish (rice) everyday with meat or fish on top, and the same salads over and over again. And really, I can't afford to eat out everyday. I am trying to save some money but still live fabulously free to indulge, so join this lovely new series of the blog with me and try not to be too bored or too confused;) Today's recipe comes from the kitchen of my friend Aalia, who taught it to me, back in the days when I was famous for foodpoisoning people. Don't worry, necessity has taught me how to cook since then, and the time my father spent yelling at me in the kitchen and friends working in snobby restaurants has not been wasted, since some of their good taste and knowledge of ingredients has rubbed off on me, and fasting during Ramadaan and watching the cooking channel all day to torture myself taught me some measure of sense and skill. I mean, I can make Turkey Puapiette's and bake petit fours, so I can't suck all that bad right? So if I learnt to cook (and I poinsoned nigh 300 people before that fine day arrived) you can too! The recipe is a simple one, lamb shoulder steak grilled with herb aoli sauce (the sauce is Martha's, the lamb is Aalia's), and potatoes seasoned with lemon and dill. This is the perfect summery dinner, and it isn't expensive in Oman. I like to serve it with a berry tea. I usually buy pomegranite juice, and barely fill the bottom of a tea cup, and then fill with water, because in Oman I have trouble finding a vast tea selection. Total cooking time for the meal is around 35-40 minutes. And can be prepared with a counter food processor/mill and a 2 plate electric hot plate if you don't have a kitchen! [In Oman, I got stuck with hot plate kitchens before]. Ingredients: for the steak and potatoes -2 lamb shoulder steaks (I got at Lulu, or a butcher shop) for 1.90 OMR (bigger steaks at Butcher) -4 large South African lemons (Lulu) for 0.580 -1 bundle of fresh dill (Lulu) for 0.4500 (I dry it at home, what I cannot use while it is fresh) -5 large potatoes (best is red, and you might need 9) (I buy at lulu by the bag, I'll record the price when I go again) for the aoli sauce -1 large egg (I buy my eggs at Lulu, by the double tray for the whole month) for 2.900 OMR -1 garlic clove coarsley chopped (I buy by the small bag at Lulu for the month) for 0.200-0.350 OMR -2 table spoons of freshly chopped chives (by the bundle at Lulu) for 0.4500 -1 table spoon of coarsley chopped fresh parsley (by the bundle at Lulu) for 0.4500 -1 & 1/2 tablespoon of fresh chopped roasemary (by the bundle at Lulu) for 0.4500 -1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil -1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil -salt and ground pepper to taste Steps: I like to make the aoli sauce ahead of time so more of the flavours can marinate. You CAN serve without the sauce when you are on a budget, or serve with a cheaper sauce of your choice. Then I start to boil the potatoes, and I put the steaks on after the potatoes are being baked or grilled for a while. AOLI SAUCE Directions: Using your food blender/mill/or processor, combine egg, garlic, and herbs. With the machine running, pour in the oils in a slow and steady stream until thickened. Season to your taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a dish, cover with plastic wrap, and refridgerate while cooking the rest of the meal. [Serves 4] POTATOES WITH LEMON AND DILL Directions: Boil water with salt. Wash your potatoes and place gently into the boiling water. Cook for 20 minutes, or remove before too soft. Remove from water while still partially firm, and dice into cubes. Cut one lemon in half and squeeve the juice onto the potatoes, and sprinkle lightly with freshly chopped dill. Season with salt and pepper and either grill for 10-15 minutes on low heat, or grill in the oven at 250 degrees. When the potatoes are almost done, squeeze a little more lemon on them if necessary. LAMB SHOULDER STEAK Directions: Preheat grill to medium high. Season with salt and pepper and then grill to desired firmness. Medium rare is generally five minutes per side. Well done is always at least 10 minutes per side on my stove top, so consider how you like your meat while cooking your potatoes. Serve with a quartered lemon wedge, and aoli sauce. Mmmm, yum, now I'm hungry. [Lamb and Potatoe ingredient ammounts stated serve 2, double the steak and potatoes for 4, ect]

No comments:

Post a Comment