Swimming Pool Drownings in Muscat

I know that nobody is likely to be thinking about building a pool in their yard tonight, what with the rain and lightening and all, but as I am one of those persons who has been discussing the possibility of a pool with her husband when we get around to constructing our villa, the thought of all the drownings I have known to happen in Oman occured to me.



Now I will for sure teach my children to swim. I can swim. But my husband's sisters can't. And so, their children mostly cannot. And Omanis love water. So there is a good chance if they were left to run around the yard someone would fall in and we'd have tragedy on our hands because I KNOW how well people in the village watch after their children.

As Suburban blogged a long time ago, alot of drownings happen in Muscat, even in hotel pools. Lifeguards aren't common here. You have to watch your children. I mean, every minute or so at least your eyes HAVE to be on them around a pool. And if you own a pool and know people won't be watching their children around your pool you are responsible for limiting their access to it.



It was almost too much responsibility for me, so I almost nixed the pool idea altogether but if the nets pictured below really work and are easy to put on (and with LOCKS for MY neices and nephews) then maybe. I want one for myself really bad. But can't imagine the horror of finding a child floating upside down in there, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment